If you’re an interior designer looking for ways to increase revenues and bring on more clients the most obvious place to start should be your website. Not facebook, not instagram or linkedin. I’ll get to why in a second but let’s start by not only asking can a lead magnet really help your business but what IS a lead magnet?
WHAT IS A LEAD MAGNET?
Remember this morning when you were searching for new athleisure wear (because Covid) or when you were ordering more coffee pods (because coffee!) and the retailer asked you for your email address in exchange for that “thing”? Well the thing is the lead magnet. The discount, the special offer, the e-book.
IT NEEDS TO BE SOMETHING RIVETING ENOUGH THAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO EXCHANGE AN EMAIL ADDRESS FOR THE OFFERING.
WHY YOUR NEWSLETTER IS SO IMPORTANT
Social media is an important part of your business’ marketing strategy but as we’ve seen with facebook, algorithms can change and we can be left without the visibility we once had.
The simplest method of maintaining long term contact with your audience is to grow your email newsletter list. You own your list forever and you can deliver your message directly to your client for the life of your business.
And this starts with the Opt In aka Lead Magnet. Make it good. Make it enticing. Make it worthwhile.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD LEAD MAGNET:
- IT’S RELEVANT – as an Interior Designer it’s your job to communicate what makes you unique. This is what your lead magnet should reflect.
- IT’S SPECIFIC – what’s your niche or your specialty? If you design homes for growing families then your lead magnet could be PDF download entitled 5 Simple Storage Solutions to Keep your Family Organized. It’s relevant and specific to the clientele that you want to attract.
- IT’S VALUABLE – nobody is going to exchange their personal information unless the offer is exactly what they’re looking for so try to understand the needs of your specific target client.
- IT’S VISUALLY APPEALING – I might not say this if I were speaking to people in the finance or tech industry but as an interior designer the expectation is that you produce beautiful products.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR LEAD MAGNET
- The Document – whether you only have a 1 page document or a 20 page download make sure it’s professional looking. If you’re not great at graphic design you can either hire someone to create it or try your hand using Canva. This is the easiest way because they offer templates that you can customize to fit your branding.
- make sure the document has a relevant name so that after it’s been saved it’ll be easy to find. It’s also nice to include your business name in the document title.
2. Your company web address and phone number – don’t make people dig for your information. You should have your company info on the first and last page at a minimum.
3. A photo of you as well as a brief introduction – Your face is important in building trust and making you and your brand seem relatable.
4. A call to action – this is just a way of saying “tell you client what to do next”. Do you want them to book a call with you? Fill out your questionnaire? Make it easy for them to take the next step. And make sure you’ve tested your clickable links to ensure they actually are working.
Need some inspiration? Look at the sample pages from a Get to Know Us document that has works as a successful lead magnet.
Need more help with creating your lead magnet? Whether it’s content or graphics I’d be happy to discuss your project. Check the Services page for more information or book your discovery call with me to learn more.